Andouille Chicken Sausage Gumbo
Andouille Chicken Sausage in a Cajun-inspired gumbo with chicken chunks and vegetables served over rice.
- 1 pound andouille sausage, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- ½ pound skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound peeled deveined medium shrimp
- 2 large onions, chopped
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ⅛ cup chopped fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 8-ounce bottle clam juice
- 1 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 1 8-ounce package sliced frozen okra
- 1 tsp gumbo file powder optional
- Minced fresh Italian parsley
- Steamed rice
Heat oil in heavy pot over medium-high heat until hot.
Add flour and stir often until mixture is medium brown.
Add chopped vegetables and cook until they are soft and brown, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes.
Add garlic and cayenne and stir 2 minutes.
Add wine, thyme, Creole seasoning and bay leaves; bring to boil, stirring constantly.
Add tomatoes with juice, clam juice, broth, sausage, and chicken; simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
Add okra and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.
Add shrimp to pot and cook shrimp until just opaque in center, stirring often.
Add gumbo file powder and Season gumbo to taste with salt and pepper.
Once thickened remove from heat, garnish with minced parsley and serve with steamed rice.